This blog is about my experiences and travels with the GOMOTO XACT 200 cc on-road/off-road motorcycle. I live on a farm 17 km south of Oudtshoorn and am planning to use the vehicle extensively for field work and town commuting. I study and grow succulents and bulbs in the flora rich area of the Little Karoo in South Africa and need an off- road bike to take me to little nooks where a conventional 4 wheel vehicle cannot reach.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Purchasing the GOMOTO

After having seen the bike at a shop in George the GOMOTO XACT 200 cc seemed like the ideal motorcycle for town driving and field explorations. Not too large and difficult to handle on small stony field roads, but with enough power to do some steep climbs onto hill tops.

I went to Jay-Jay Bikes, the GOMOTO agents in Oudtshoorn (Tel: 044 272 0610), and spend some time looking at the two GOMOTOS they had in stock as well as some rather sporty looking Big Boy bikes. It was actually a difficult choice, but since the GOMOTO had a slightly lower rear mudguard, well designed for a top case, as well as  the price - "On Special"  for R 11,500,  I decided to settle for the GOMOTO XACT 200 cc.


The dealer needed a day to get the licensing and servicing done, I had the top case put on, anti-leak gel, and off course a helmet since my old one is totally worn out on the inside.


I went to fetch the bike when it was ready and the dealer told me with much excitement that he just took it for a test drive and found it exceptionally easy to handle in town.Something I was later to experience myself.

Together with the accessories and licensing the total came to R 13,300.00. This is notably cheaper than the  Big Boy bike of similar size.

I have been trying to get reviews for this motorcycle, but data is scanty, although the bit that exist is positive. People I spoke to also seem to confirm that the new range of GOMOTO's are good bikes.

The first service is after only 300 km  and it needs to be serviced every 2000 km after that. If you do not comply with the service record you lose the warranty. Every service at this dealer costs R 400.

The warranty is as set out in the SAM (South African Motorcycles) booklet that you receive with the purchase. The engine has a 24 month guarantee and other parts ranging from 6 months to one month - also depending on whether the bike gets used on-road or off-road.

A booklet of Operational Instructions reads well but was obviously not written by somebody in fair command of the English language - a common occurrence when purchasing products from some eastern countries.


GOMOTO XACT 200cc
I had a choice between an orange or a blue bike. I chose the orange one so it would be more visible to other traffic.

It is too early to tell if this motorcycle will live up to my expectations but I do like the looks of it, the narrow seat sits well and all the controls except for the choke are within easy reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment